- How connected do you feel to Easter as a Christian celebration?
- What impact have the past few weeks of reading Mark’s gospel had on you?
- Has anything surprised you?
- Has anything challenged you?
Look at the text
Read Mark 14:53 - 72
- Why does the text make such a big deal about the false testimonies?
- Why is it important that Jesus was innocent?
- Who is setting the agenda in verses 53 – 65?
- If Jesus is in control, why is he letting things go the way they are going?
- What claim is Jesus making about himself in verse 63? (Read Daniel 7:13-14)
- Why was the high priest so upset? He was clearly expecting the Messiah. (Verses 61b and 63-64)
- How easy – or difficult – would it be for you to explain to your friends that they are going to be judged?
- How do you feel about the idea of being judged by God?
- What do you think about the bushfire and burnt ground metaphor Mark used in his sermon? (Listen from about 30:15 if you can’t remember it) Did you find it a helpful explanation for what happened on the cross? Why/Why not?
- How often do you think about the people standing on the unburnt ground? Do they impact your life?
- Read how Paul reacted to the people on the unburnt ground - 1 Corinthians 9:19-22
- If the people standing on the unburned ground had more impact in your life, what might you do differently as an individual?
- What might we do differently as a small group or as a church?