- Was there anything about this talk you found useful? Was there anything you found challenging?
Read 2 Peter 3:1-18
- What is the purpose of Peter writing this letter (v1)
- What is the argument the scoffers use against Jesus’ return? (v4)
- What other bible passages can you think of that mention Jesus’ return?
Here are some examples to look up: Acts 1:9-11, Acts 3:19-21, 1 Corinthians 11:26, 1 Thessalonians 1:9-10, 1 Timothy 6:13-16, James 5:7-9, Revelation 1:7-8, Revelation 16:15
- Have there been times in your life where you have especially longed for Jesus’ return? Have there been times when you have been pretty pleased it was ‘not today’?
- What is Peter’s response to the scoffers? (v5-10)
- What do verses 8-10 say about God’s timing and his character?
- How does Peter say we are to live as we wait the day of the Lord? (v11, 14-15, 17-18)
- How would your life be different if you knew for sure that Jesus was coming back next week?
- As we wait we are to ‘grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ’ (v18). What practical things could you do to grow in grace and knowledge?
Put it into practice
Think of one practical thing you can do over the next two weeks that will work toward your growth in grace and knowledge. Write it down and if you feel comfortable, ask a trusted member of your small group to follow up with you in a fortnight and ask you how you are going.
Think of one or two people you know who do not know Jesus. Pray for, and then boldly seek opportunities to speak with them about God.